We've worked on countless subcontract website and software development projects over the years. Typically, this is for a design agency that doesn't have an in-house development team, and needs their design mockup turning into a functioning website or software system. However, we've also worked alongside in-house IT teams that need the specialist skills we possess.
Subcontract website / software development - how it works
Every situation is different, but generally speaking, the process is as follows:
- An initial discussion takes place to discuss the project - by phone or in person
- If required, we are happy to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement
- If a specification is already available for the project, we would prepare a quotation based on the information and design mockups provided
- If we are engaged early in the project, we are happy to attend initial meetings with the customer to assist in drawing up the specification and advise on the areas we would be responsible for
- When meeting or speaking with your customer, we can be "badged" as a member of your team, or as ourselves
- Working with you, we draw up a specification to agree with the customer, as well as a plan of timescales and key milestones
- Our quotation is based on this specification
- Once the project commences, we'll give you (and the customer, if appropriate) updates on our development progress. We'll also provide access to a staging site where progress can be monitored, and a bug/issue tracking system for you to report items that need to be addressed
- Towards the end of the project, we can provide trainging to you and/or the customer on how to use the system
- We can also install the website/software onto the live server, if required
- If required, we can provide ongoing support for technical issues, data backup and training
...however, this is just a suggestion. We can work to your internal process if the above is not suitable. Please give us a call to discuss your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've worked with many different types of customer on subcontract development work, including:
- Design agencies that can design websites, but don't have the in-house skills to build them, or perhaps are looking for additional support during a busy period
- Nationwide companies with an in-house IT team that need assistance developing in a technology they may not be familiar with
- Companies wishing to have an independent third party review a proposal from another provider
However, if you don't fit into one of the above categories, we're sure we can still help.
We can work with most development technologies, but typically, we work with the following:
- Symfony framework
- Zend Framework
- PHP based systems
- HTML & CSS
...however, we've also carried out development work in all sorts of languages and systems, so if yours isn't listed above, please contact us to discuss the project further.
Normally, we'd ask a designer to provide us with:
- Mockups of each key section (as a PDF or JPGs)
- Design resources to be used, including images, icons, fonts and a colour reference
- Guidance as to how any animation or interaction should take place
We'd also ask that we have a named contact that we can run any questions past.